Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Day 17: 6/26/07 - Completion of Elite PAC Tour

Today we completed the 17th and final day of the 2007 version of the Southern Transcontinental Elite PAC Tour - Eric, myself, and 19 others (21 total) out of the original 50 people completed all 2,797 miles and are RAAM (Race Across America) qualified for the men's solo division. I suppose all of our wives are worried we might do RAAM now? Today was 142 miles from Dublin GA to Tybee Island GA.

Anyway, it was a fantastic ride. Hard, hot, humid, fun, exciting, and a true test. I am glad to have completed it. I met a lot of new friends that I hope to see again someday. Here is a picture as we made our way over the boardwalk to the Atlantic ocean.


Eric and I are holding our bikes in the Atlantic ocean. Just 17+ days ago we took the same photo in the Pacific.

Then they had us assemble for a group picture. I think all the beach people thought it was kind of strange to see us and our bicycles on the beach. The water was warm (even for me) and later on, I went in to float around for a while.

Tomorrow (Wednesday 6/27/07) it's back to Colorado Springs. It has been a long time since we have seen our families. It has been a long time since we've been to work too. It was an adventure but now it's back to reality.

5 comments:

Rodger said...

Congratulations!

Jeff said...

Vernon,

Congratulations.

I can't believe you guys aren't biking back to Colorado...it's only ~1,300 miles.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

Vernon,

CONGRATULATIONS on your incredible acheivement. You never cease to amaze and impress me.
Want to go for a bike ride on Saturday??

Paul

Vernon Smith said...

Thanks for the comments. It was a great adventure. I probably should have bicycled back to Colorado aftet the troubles getting home by United Airlines and sleepon on the floor at the Chicago airport on Wednesday night 6/27/07.

Valerie Behrndt said...

Congratulations Vernon. Very impressive. If you need to put your feet up and relax, come to Bellingham for a short visit. Mom may be coming sometime in August. I'm glad you completed your trip. Is France coming up again. Love you. Valerie