Sunday, June 24, 2007

Day 14: Saturday 6/23/07 - Oppressive Heat!

Today was 172 miles from Forest MS to Camden AL. Here are some pictures taken during the breakfast period (6:00 to 6:30 AM). This is Tom Schwartz (crew) loading some bikes on to of the van.
This is George Jahant (crew) who later today would be a huge cooling relief to me.

Here are some riders waiting for Susan to say "breakfast is open". Pictured are (closest to farthest) are Tom Lawrence, Peter Beeson, Scott McIntosh and Brad Reid.

This is a picture of Mark Jackson (crew). Aside from always being fun at all stops he is the morning "bagel man".

Here is a close up of the flowering Mimosa tree followed by a picture of the tree itself.
This is a picture of myself and Charles Breer as we entered Alabama today.

This was my hardest day. 172 miles from Forest MS to Camden AL. The HEAT did me in. After the lunch stop (at 106 miles), I couldn’t keep up with Charles, Eric, Scott, etc. I just didn’t have it. Maybe I didn’t drink enough early on? Maybe I didn’t eat enough? Maybe The first 100 mile was too fast? Maybe I wasn’t tolerating the 100 degree heat and humidity very well. Maybe it was a combination of all these factors? I told Charles I was going to have to drop out of the group. I had to stop and get some no-doze and a coke in hopes of staying alert and recovering. Was it working? I don’t know. Then Kevin Kaiser came along and helped me get to the next sag stop (at 137 miles). He helped with encouragement and trying to sling-shot me up some of the rollers. At the 137 mile stop George Jahant (crew) put cold wet towels on my head and water down my back. Mark Jackson (crew) helped fill my camelback and bottles. Thanks George and Mark. Kevin gave me his tube sock to fill with ice and ride with around my neck. Thanks go to Kevin. That may have helped the most. I had a fair recovery between that 137 miles and the last stop at 154 miles. Phil Holcomb and I sometimes rode with each other or one of us would get ahead a little or behind. He too was encouraging and made sure I was OK. Thanks Phil. Here is a picture of myself and then one of Phil on the bridge over the Alabama River.

Tomorrow is all in Alabama.

2 comments:

mmartinez said...

Almost there Vern. Looking forward to getting your perspective on what worked and what didn't.

- Food
- Rest
- Equipment

Rode from our ranch south of Chama, over Cumbres Pass, into Colorado and back. Not quite the epic rides you've done - but just as fun. As Sean and I were climbing up Cumbres, all I could think about was how nice and cool the climb was - a far cry from what you've been through - but much more to your liking.

Get home safe....m2

Vernon Smith said...

Thanks for the comment Mike. You are right though - Nothing beats a nice climb in the cool high mountains!